Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Reading Notes: Part B Hunt

For today’s reading I read Part B of the Hunt stories. I was really excited for this collection of stories because they dealt with the story of Snow White and the Evil Queen. As I mentioned in my previous post, I want the villain in my project to be a spin off of the original Evil Queen. The Evil Queen to me is one of the worst villains in Disney because her hatred was so deep and wrongly directed toward Snow White.

In my project, College of the Elite, the students are all there to try to work together and bridge the gap between species. I would like to make my villain someone who resents this merger, for the sole reason that they want to continue to control everyone.

After reading the story I was sad to see that there was no wicked queen in it, rather there were evil dwarfs. To me it is interesting how a particular story can be molded and changed to fit modern times. For example the story of Cinderella has been redone a lot. Either in cartoon versions, live person or some form of Disney movie.



In order to get my wicked queen fix I researched the version of Snow White that was closer to what I was expecting. The one I found is Little Snow White by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. In this story the evil queen is Snow White’s stepmother. This is what I was looking for in my villain. Someone who traditionally shouldn’t be a villain, a stepmother typically is nice and looks after the children. But, from this and several other stories you get the archetype of “step-monster.” I want my villain to embody unexpected villain. It will be someone you never expect because I feel like that is more realistic in terms of what happens in real-life.

Margaret Hunt's Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm

The Evil Queen from Snow White at Disney. Web Source 

No comments:

Post a Comment