Sunday, November 20, 2016

Reading Notes: Dante (Extra Reading)

For my extra reading this week I choose to read the works of Dante! I actually have read parts of Dante's Inferno for a class before and I liked how this version condensed the three books into one! My favorite story out of this section was the story about Satan. I have to admit that I was very apprehensive about reading this story because I didn't know what to expect, but it actually was very interesting.

One thing that I have noticed about Dante's writing is that he is very detailed in his writing and about who who he puts in Hell. He has a clear reason why each person he meets is in Hell and it helps me see the different things that Dante considers to be bad. One thing I would have loved to see more of in the stories that were shown were stories about Virgil. To me, Virgil is one of the most interesting characters in the Inferno and Purgatorio. I like how he acts as a guide for Dante and helps him on this journey!

Back to the story of Satan, it was interesting that the devil had three heads and had a sinner in his mouth. This was interesting because it wasn't just the sinner being punished it was Satan being punished as well. That is another thing I have noticed throughout his writing is that he is very detailed about the punishments that the people go though.

An interesting story that could be created out of this is an awful game of would you rather. It would be interesting to create a story where character had to pick which punishment they would rather have out of the different levels of Hell! Its a game that no one would like to play!


A quote from Dante Alighieri. Web Source 

No comments:

Post a Comment