Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Reading Notes: Hans Christian Anderson Part B

This week I read Part A of the Hans Christian Anderson tales. I found the first story of the Princess and the Pea to be really interesting. I knew the general information of the story before reading it but I though the actual story would contain more details. I was a little disappointed to read that the only thing that marked the princess as a real princess was the fact that she was so sensitive.

If I were to expand on this story I would like to potentially give the the princess more tasks to prove that she was in fact a "real princess." It would be fun to make it into some kind of Real or Not: A Princess Game Show. I think it would add a lot of fun and excitement into an otherwise very straightforward story.

In this game show the contestant would be five princesses from different kingdoms. These princesses would have to compete in a series of tasks and the winner would get to date the prince. While this is a little old fashion I think it could be a fun twist on the traditional "guy fighting over girl" stereotype.

For the character of the prince in my story I want to make sure he is nothing like the Wicked Prince. The Wicked Prince is another on of Anderson's stories. The prince in that story is very mean and dies a horrible death. The prince in my story will be nice and somewhat reluctant. His mother is the one that is pushing him to do this contest in the first place.



A statue of the Princess and the Pea. Source 

Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by H. P. Paull (1872).

No comments:

Post a Comment