Monday, October 24, 2016

Reading Notes: Native American Marriage Tales Unit Part B

For this set of readings. I read part B of the Native American Marriage Tales Unit. This unit was much happier than the first. My favorite story out of this section was the True Bride stories. They held elements of a Cinderella story mixed with Snow White.

In the story their are four mysterious brothers. I really liked them as the "fairy-god mother" type character. They watched out for the girl and worked to make her life easier. In my first reading I mentioned that I wanted to write a horror story. So, after reading this I want to play with the idea of a horror story that involves traditional fairy tale characters.

In my story the brothers would be captured by the evil stepmother, so that they could no longer help the girl. The girl would then be forced to go rescue them. This is a fun role-reversal where the former damsel in distress has to save her fairy-god brothers (name still pending). As for the setting that my story will be in, I like the idea of a fair away castle that she must travel too. The key with this kind of story is making sure that I don't make the journey too long. Even though I wanted to write a horror story I still firmly believe that they can have a happy ending.

I also want to incorporate another character into my story. So, while it might be a prince or a local boy they will help her in her journey. I know I want to incorporate aspects of the Native American stories into the journey, I just haven't figured out how they will fit yet!



Cinderella Wonder books. Illustration by Ruth Ives. Source 


Bibliography: Readings from Tales of North American Indians by Stith Thompson.

No comments:

Post a Comment