Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Story: Better than the Past

I sighed as I walked out of class, another mundane day for me. Don’t get me wrong I love my life I have great friends and a great family, plus one very overbearing brother. I have a great life but I’m just lost in understanding who I should be. My parents said that college would be the place for me to “discover myself” but the only thing I have discovered is that I have a low alcohol tolerance and that my dating life could use a serious revamp.

When I got home I threw my backpack on the bed and got a call from my brother, Miro.

“Alexia,” my brother started. “Something’s happened, mom and dad’s plane went missing. We can’t get ahold of them. “

I tried to process what he was saying. Missing? My mind couldn’t wrap around the fact that my parents were missing even though I heard from them this morning. Every year they take an annual trip to Japan to see my father’s family. My great-to-the-tenth grandfather was some big-shot traveler and merchant in Japan and left behind a rich legacy.

“Their plane didn’t make it to the airport, Hidesato, wants us to get on the next plane to Japan. He thinks we should be with family while the search and rescue looks for mom and dad, “ said my brother Miro.

That is how I ended up on a plane to Japan to find my parents and see a grandfather I have never met. We touched down roughly fourteen hours later. I was tired and disoriented and not ready for the procession that greeted us at the airport. An old man in his 70s was waiting there for us, I could only assume he was my grandfather, Hidesato. Next to him stood a lady with grey hair and a warm smile, she must by my grandmother Hana. My dad would never tell me why we couldn’t go with them to Japan, just that it wasn’t safe for us. But, looking at my grandparents I can’t help but think how much we must have missed out on.

“Miro and Alexia” said my grandfather as he came forward with open arms. “It’s so good to finally see you! I just wish it was under better circumstances” After hugs from both my grandmother and grandfather, we were ushered to their car and made our way to their home.

In the morning I went down to breakfast to talk with my grandparents, my brother followed me sleepily.

“Is there any news?” I asked as I sat down at the table.

“No, I’m afraid not. Your grandfather and I are about to leave to go back to the airport, they want us to identify your father’s voice on the flight recording,” said my grandmother in a gentle tone, I could tell she didn’t want to worry me.

“Shouldn’t we go with you?” I murmured as I began getting up from the table.

“No! You and your brother need rest you had a long flight. We have a game room with a TV and a full fridge, so help yourself to whatever you want! There is one thing your grandfather and I must ask of you and that is not to wander outside.”

This seemed like a weird request but they were already out the door before I could protest. Miro and I spent most of the day playing video games and watching movies, it was only around late afternoon that I began to have cabin fever.

“Come on Miro! Lets go for a walk!” I said excitedly about the prospect of getting out of the house. My brother, ever the adventurer agreed. As we walk a little ways from the house we came upon a bridge. Just as we were about to cross over it a voice stopped us.

“I never thought I would see the day when the descendants of Hidesato came back.” Said a man with a long white beard.

“You know our grandfather?” The question that came out of my lips surprised me.

“Not your grandfather dear child, the grand father of your grand fathers, grandfather, or something like that.” The old man said with a smile.

“I hear you are looking for your parents, maybe I can help. I have a deep interest in the welfare of your family.” The old man said as began to transform into some kind of monster. After the transformation was over a dragon stood before me.

“Don’t be afraid I would never harm the descendants of Hidesato. Your enemies are my enemies. The evil centipede has your parents and my wife. I need your help to get them back.”

We went down to his marble palace under the sea where we waited for the centipede to come. I was a little uneasy after all I was just a normal college student, I hadn’t even declared my major yet! My brother on the other hand waited calmly for the centipede. The dragon-man gave me a bow and arrow and my brother a spear. As the centipede approached my brother threw the spear and it harmlessly bounced off. I shot an arrow and the same thing occurred. I had taken an insect class as an elective and I tired to remember what the professor said about centipedes, then I remembered! They can’t stand human saliva. I put the arrow in my mouth then notched it and let it fly. It struck true. I knew my parents were safe.

After we were reunited with my parents and grandparents. I couldn’t help but think how much I had changed. Gone was the clueless freshman and here comes the outgoing Alexia.  Who knew that to find myself, I would need to look in the past.



Author’s Note: After reading My Lord Bag of Rice, I knew I wanted to use it for my story. Since he had the endless supply of rice and silk I knew his future grandchildren would also have that luxury, so I flipped the script about them not knowing about their ancestor. I kept the ending the same, with the same killing of a centipede because I thought it would be a nice connection between the past and present.  I really enjoyed getting to write this story and find new ways to reimagine the story.

Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki, with illustrations by Japanese artists (1905).

4 comments:

  1. Great story! I liked how the beginning was a normal story that many people can relate to. This really got my attention because it took me back to my freshman year when I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and was very unsure of who I am and what my future would hold. I also liked how one second it was a typical story and then the next it was taken to the next level with the dragon. I also enjoyed the sense of mystery with the unknown location of the kids parents and the fact that the grandmother asked them to not go outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this story took a drastic turn about midway through it. It left me wondering a couple of things, but maybe that was your intention. I like stories where the author leaves enough mystery for the reader to resolve by their own reaction. I was not expecting a dragon to show up. I am always a sucker for happy endings so naturally I loved this story. My favorite line was when the girl said but I'm just a college student who hasn't even declared a major yet. I look forward to reading more of your writing throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative story! I'm not quite sure if centipedes actually hate human saliva, or if you made that up, but it's quite an interesting detail. I'm also a little confused about exactly who the grandparents were in this story. If they weren't the grandparents described by the parents, who were they? Or was the grandfather named after the original Hidesato?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    I like how you updated the original setting, it makes it more relevant to me as a reader. I also like how you included the hero using knowledge from a class, it gives me hope my degree will be worth something someday.

    Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading more of your work in the future.

    Andrew Wright

    ReplyDelete