Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Reading Notes: Part B Blackfoot


I really enjoyed these reading and learning about Kut-o-yis. To the Blackfoot people he is a robin hood figure who protects them from people who do them harm. I want to continue on with my story from the first readings about the Theft of the Sun.

In my story I want to play around with the idea of the sun and the moon fighting. They could be fighting over who gets to rise first, after all the moon is always in the darkness. Kut-o-yis will come into the story as the man to mend the feud. For the narrative of the story I think it might be interesting if I left him unnamed and referred to him as the man. With a story concept about a broad topic like the sun and moon fighting I want to leave the hero unnamed so everyone can identify with him.


Throughout all of the Blackfoot stories a main theme is not having enough food or shelters. These are the basic needs every person needs to survive. With the sun and moon being non-human beings they don’t need to worry about that. However, if the sun does not rise the plants will not grow and the animals cannot eat. If the moon does not rise the tides do not turn and the world would become to hot. In the end of my story I want to have a lesson like most of the Blackfoot stories do. My lesson will be that “you should think of others before yourself.” The sun and the moon were only thinking about their fight and not about the consequences it had on the people who depended on them. This theme plays nicely into the idea of helping your neighbor and your fellow man.



Picture: This is a picture of the Blackfoot Tribe. Source

Bibliography: The Blackfeet Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnell (1915).

No comments:

Post a Comment