Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Story: Into the Book


“That will be all for today’s class, please remember to turn in your paper on the historical relevance of a hero’s journey on your way out.”  I said, as a stack of papers began to form on my desk.

“Professor Jones,” I looked up and met the eyes of one of my best students, “Yes Kathy?”

“I just wanted to return the Tales of Sinbad book you let me borrow. It was very helpful for my paper.” She said, as she placed a large, bound book on my desk.

“You’re welcome, I am glad you found it enlightening. “ I smiled. It was a rare sight when my students actually took my class seriously enough to go the extra mile with their research.

As the last student trickled out the door I sat down heavily at my desk. It had been a long day and I was getting too use to this professor gig. It was only two short years ago that I was the person going on adventures and writing books and now I’m teaching them. I looked down at my desk at the copy of Sinbad and thought how great it would be to go on voyages like him.  I rolled my eyes, now I was even getting jealous of fictional characters. I collected the book and papers and headed for home.

That night I sat down to grade papers and watch the latest episode of Bones on Netflix. By the fifth paper, I was exhausted, I told myself I would only have to grade one more paper and then I could get some much needed rest. I looked down at the next paper and was surprised to see the title “The Misfortunes and Luck of Sinbad the Great Merchant.”  I remembered my student asking to borrow the tales of Sinbad to use in her paper. Now it was time to see if the extra reading paid off!

“The merchant Sinbad had a propensity for getting into unfortunate situations . . .” As I continued to read I got deeper
                                                            and deeper
                                                                                    and deeper

                                                                                                        into the story of Sinbad.

Getting too caught up in the reading I knew it was time to take a break. I sat up and stretched my arms and just as I was looking around my breath caught. I must be dreaming because I am in the middle of a jungle. All around me elephants were walking about, they paid me no heed and continued on with their business. I stood up to get a better sense of my surroundings when all of a sudden and man lunged out of the trees at me. He held a knife to my neck and said,
“Who are you and why are you in the elephant sanctuary?” His accent was foreign and thick. Before answering I surveyed his robe like clothes and head-dressing.

“My name is Jones and I am a professor at the University, I’m not sure how I got here but I promise you I don’t mean you or these elephants any harm!” I said as I put my arms up.

“He regarded me, “What is a man of science doing out in these jungles?” He asks as he lowers the knife. “I don’t know how I ended up here, I need to try to find a way home”

He silently watched me for a minuet before he smiled and claps me on the back. “ I will make a deal with you Jones if you help me stop the villagers from killing the elephants for their tusks and then I will give you enough gold to help you get home.”


 This is a still of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Wikimedia 

Out of options and still hoping that this is a dream, I agree. “If we are to work together I think I should at least know your name.” I told the strange man.

“Of course, my name is Sinbad, a merchant of Bagdad and a sailor. “ He said, as I continued to stare. I’m pretty sure my mouth dropped open at one point. It would seem that somehow I am in the story of Sinbad. Luckily for him and me I have read this story and know what we need to do to save the elephants.

Walking around as causally I could I surveyed the area and told him, “Through my studies I have learned a lot about animal behavior. Elephants are pack animals who typically stay together in a herd or family. What we need to do is find where this particular group buries their dead!” I feel triumphant at my own genius that is until the look on Sinbad’s face makes me feel like I am crazy. Had I remembered the story wrong?

“Why would we want to find dead elephants?” He exclaims. “It is the live ones we need to be worried about.”

“No, think about this, there are hundreds of dead elephants buried out their with their tusks up for grabs. If we show this to the villagers they will have no reason to kill the elephants anymore, we are basically near an Ivory factory!”

“What is a factory?” Asks Sinbad with a puzzling look. Not wanting to get into that conversation, I have Sinbad lead me to the village where we had the people grab every shovel they could find and follow us to the jungle. After four days of search we finally found the elephant graveyard. 


On the fifth day Sinbad came to me with a sack in his hands. “Thank you my friend for all of your help, this should help you get back home.” Just as he was handing me the sack, everything went black. When I woke could hear my TV in the background and the stack of papers were in a pile at my feet. I couldn’t believe it was just a dream! I was laughing to myself as I sat back only to jump from my chair. Behind me, sitting on the chair was a sack of gold coins.

Bibliography: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

Authors Note: I was inspired to write this story after reading the story of Sinbad. While I read the original story I couldn't help but think how interesting it would be if one of my favorite childhood stories, Indiana Jones, met up with Sinbad. Both men are adventurer who have a habit of getting  into sticky situations and making it out in the end. I liked the tenacity of the character Sinbad, because he is able to turn any problem into an opportunity. 

3 comments:

  1. When I started reading your story, I thought it sounded like an Indiana Jones story. Much to my surprise, in your author's note, you mentioned that you combined Sinbad and Indiana Jones. I liked how you chose to use the professor to help Sinbad because he had read the story. You were able to make your own story and then integrate the original story of Sinbad in. I thought it was funny when Sinbad asked what a factory is. When we write these stories from so many years ago, it's easy to forget that the vocabulary is different than it is today. I liked this funny touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! Wow, you’re an incredible writer! I loved how in depth this story was. You did an amazing job starting the story off in his classroom and then transitioning it into the jungle. I am actually not very familiar with the story of Sinbad, but this was incredibly informative! I think mixing it with Indiana Jones gave it a terrific twist. Keep up the good work! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I really enjoyed reading your story! I read the story about the voyages of Sinbad, but I like the twist that you put on the original story. It was very unique and your writing flowed effortlessly. I like how you incorporated a well known character like Indiana Jones into your story, while still being subtle about it. My favorite part, however, was the end when the professor though he was dreaming, but there was the bag of coins Sinbad had gave him. Overall, you wrote an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete